6 Steps to Creating SEO Optimized Content That RANKS
When it comes to content marketing, the last thing you want to do is create content that no one reads and doesn’t drive any traffic or revenue for your business.
- Keyword Research
- Content Research
- Content Development
- Review & Edit
1. Keyword Research: Find demand, create supply; discover what people are looking for!
Instead of taking an educated guess on what people want, our data-driven approach utilizes keyword research to determine what content people are actively seeking and how many people are actively seeking it.
2. Content Research: Identify competition and exactly what it will take to beat them.
How can we expand upon what our competition has already said? What type of media is popping up on the top of the results page? Where do we stand in regards to our competition? All of these questions can be answered by researching what type of content is already out there for a given topic or search query. Can you create content better than the existing alternatives?
3. Brainstorming: Objectively challenge your own ideas.
Use this time to consider the strengths and weaknesses of existing content. How can you expand upon these to create a superior piece of content? You have to be honest with yourself about the quality of your ideas. Consider all different types of content as well! Even the most well-written blog posts can be overshadowed by different mediums that deliver value quicker, such as calculators and widgets.
4. Content Development: Invest time and energy to create awesome content.
If you want your content to have lasting value for your company, you need to commit time, effort, and investment into each piece of content. Get rid of arbitrary deadlines and keep asking yourself “How can I make this better?” Consider the four attributes Google uses to rank pages when creating your blog. How can you get other relevant websites to link your content? How can you increase the amount of time people spend on your site by adding value? Are your meta titles and meta descriptions relevant to the search query? Are you using the ideal type of media? Are you using keywords? All of these attributes truly make the difference when creating content that will rank well on Google.
5. Review & Edit: Are you willing to start over?
It may seem counter intuitive after investing all of this time and energy, but you must be willing to throw it all away if the content is mediocre. Content quality must be prioritized above all else. You must be able to answer yes to all of these questions before publishing your content:
- Is the content copy well-written, easy to read, unique, and informative?
- Has the content been proofread for spelling and grammar by at least two people?
- Have you shared the content with a target audience member for feedback?
- Are the keywords effectively used in the headers, subheaders, and body of the content?
- Are the visual assets adding value to the content? Are they high quality images?
- Are the title and meta description accurate, persuasive, and clear?
This diligence will be rewarded with content that is an asset which generates positive value for your business.
6. Promotion: Get your content out there!
Distribute your content on social media. Reach out to others in your niche that might be willing to amplify your content (ie share it or link to it).